Digital Data Storage/Secure messaging-
all the data/commections, including the user authentication information, is transmitted over the Internet and stored on our servers in protected by 2048 SSL encryption.
Do you track users in any way with trackers, advertisements, or cookies?
How do you generally handle requests from law enforcement?
They must have a warrant issued by a Swiss judge otherwise we remind them of the Swiss laws. With a Swiss court issued warrant we will cooperate
When a user deletes an email or draft, is it actually deleted? (many mainstream providers keep users email even after deletion)
No it requires two steps. After you delete it you then need to purge it which removes it both from your email and the servers
Does your service support bittorrent?
Do you have access to all your servers, and does the data center you use log?
No I do not access to the servers. No logs
How do you generally handle requests from law enforcement and copyright agencies?
They must have a warrant issued by a Swiss judge otherwise we remind them of the Swiss laws
What type of Encryption do you use for VPN, emails
AES 256 for email, 1024 for VPN
Do you keep any logs, IP Addresses, Timestamps, Bandwidth caps, Traffic or other data?
DigitalSafe is fully compliant with the following:
- Swiss Federal Act on Data Protection (FADP),
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIPPA),
- Personal Information Portability and Accountability Act (PIPEDA),
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA),
- Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI-DSS).
- All data is stored in Switzerland!
- Swiss security and confidentiality is 100% assured!
DigitalSafe supports any operating system and computer hardware capable of running any of the following web browsers:
- Internet Explorer 7 or newer
- Firefox 3 or newer
- Safari 4 or newer
- Chrome 4 or newer
Supported operating systems include (32bit and 64bit), but are not limited to:
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Mac OS X
Data Center Infrastructure
PCI-DSS certified hardware architecture including:
- Third party real time monitoring of all servers, network devices and environment
- Fully redundant web application servers with full failover capabilities
- Fully redundant database servers with full failover capabilities
- Failover network connections
- Biometric access to all facilities
- Cameras with motion detection system
- Fully automated internal backup system to enable quick recovery in the unlikely case of catastrophic failure
- Hardened, green data center facilities – Swiss data center is 100% green-tech powered
- Background check for all employees (including administrative staff)
- All data is stored in a Tier 3 data centre in Switzerland.
- Data centre is ISO 9001:2000 certified by SGS
- Data centre complies with SFB commission security guidelines (Swiss Federal Banking)
- SLA of 99.999%
- Complete Swiss security and confidentiality assured!
At DigitalSafe, all the data, including the user authentication information, is transmitted over the Internet and stored on our servers in encrypted form.
All connections to our servers, for all users, are protected with 2048bit SSL encryption.
Passwords are encrypted with bcrypt algorithm. Locking the account after a predefined number of failed login attempts prevents brute force password guessing. Timing based password guessing is not possible due to nature of bcrypt encryption.
When current session expires, browser window is redirected to login page in case computer is left unattended.
Notes are stored on the server encrypted with AES-256 encryption and encryption key is stored on a separate server, not accessible from the Internet.
For ultimate security and privacy, users can choose to have their own password be used to encrypt the data. In this case, it is not possible to decrypt user’ private data without knowing the password. Not even DigitalSafe personnel can decrypt the data.
However, that also means user’s password cannot be reset and data will forever be lost if password is lost.
The DigitalSafe secure personal online notes application stores data in a world class Swiss data warehouse located in Switzerland, renowned for its exacting standards and quality control. DigitalSafe has the physical environment necessary to keep the servers up and running 24 hours a day seven days a week even in case of power shortages and major natural disasters.
These world-class facilities are custom designed with raised floors, HVAC temperature control systems with separate cooling zones and seismically braced racks. They offer the widest range of physical security features, including state-of-the-art smoke detection and fire suppression systems, motion sensors, 24 X 7 secured access, video camera surveillance and security breach alarms.
In compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) we have a 24×7 third party monitoring of our network infrastructure to check for known application and service vulnerabilities. Then we have a yearly on-site audit lasting multiple days where every aspect of the system is audited: from software development to hardware deployment, from personnel policies to passwords management. There are more than 200 criteria that DigitalSafe has to meet in order to keep its compliance level.
Open Web Application Security compliance
DigitalSafe is developed according to the Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) guidelines and all developers are trained on OWASP. According to the PCI DSS requirements, DigitalSafe developers address all top ten OWASP vulnerabilities.